DemeTech's Silk suture is a non-absorbable, sterile, surgical suture composed of an organic protein called fibroin. DemeTech's silk sutures are processed to remove the natural waxes and gums from its origin. As Silk is a natural fiber, its does illicit an acute inflammatory reaction, which is followed by gradual encapsulation of the suture by fibrous connective tissue (occurring usually in 14-21 days). DemeTech's Silk Suture with and without needles is indicated for use in general soft tissue approximation and/or ligation, including use in ophthalmic procedures. Product is intended for long term use over 30 days. This product is not intended to be used on the heart or with the central circulatory and central nervous systems.
• Raw silk is produced by a silkworm larva's cocoon. These natural waxes and gums are removed prior to the braiding process, allowing for a tighter, more compact braid.
• DemeTech's Silk suture is dyed black for easier visibility in tissue.
• DemeTech's Silk suture is non-absorbable and multifilament in nature.
• Although nonabsorbable, progressive degradation of fiber may result in gradual loss of tensile strength over time.
• DemeTech coats its Silk in silicon to increase ductility and minimize tissue reactivity.